Sunday 24 May 2009

twitter

How are we using Twitter in education? If I have a question and I email it to a 'wise one' somewhere, I get their knowledge. If I use SMS or Skype chat I get the same level of response from one person. This is great as I can access really wise people and get information that was previously not available to me.
However, if I am brave enouigh to be using Twitter, such responses can be from a world wide audience (or just colleagues) and as they have to be short, I can identify trends and different views quickly which will help me to build a less biased viewpoint.
Now, I think this could be useful if I am studying and need to unpack some obscure material (isn't it all?), but it wouldn't be useful if I am trying to do some collaborative writing around say a milestone report. So in my role as an adviser, how could it be used?
What if a teacher had a twitter pad and used it for quick fire questions around a problem or strategy? Would they want this to go public and get lots of responses? Would the word limit make the responses inane?
Given what I am seeing in secondary classrooms, I don't think Twitter will be on the agenda for some years due mainly to fears around cyber bullying. Is anyone really using Twitter for anything educational?

No comments:

Post a Comment