Saturday 26 June 2010

Blogging in the classroom

This week I worked with a teacher to create an e-portfolio for a student.  Just one, learning to crawl before i walked.  I found it so frustrating trying to make blogs do what i naturally can get wikis to do, but recognised that this was just due to the fact that neither of us were familiar enough to be confident.  Good wake up call for me - people do give up in the early phases of developing their web environments and I needed to understand why.  It's also enough of a kick to make me see that i am still trying to make both environments behave in the same manner when they are not the same.  They achieve different things.  In different ways.
Have to confess that blogs are neat and tidy, and that you can do pretty things with them in terms of colours etc that cannot easily be achieved with wikis. But being a create out of chaos person, I am not keen on the linear nature of blogs though and i suspect that has been my major obstacle so far.
I will follow my teacher's efforts closely to offer as much support as i can - and to find out in sneaky ways what can be done.  She's far more determined than me!

No comments:

Post a Comment